In Memory

Rod Munro

Rod Munro

Rod passed away peacefully on the Sunday morning August 14th with his beloved Sarah and some of her family by his side. A few weeks ago his oncologist gave him the choice of checking into the hospital or going home and getting hospice involved. A no-brainer. Sarah said that they were "Johnny-on-the-spot" and were a huge help. He appeared to be sleeping his last few days but the hospice nurse said that one's sense of hearing was the last to go. Rod gave Sarah many indications that she was getting through. Rod's wake is not imminent and I promise to let you know as soon as I know something.   Sincerely, Dick Corlett

Picture of Greg Vail, Sarah Munro & Rod Munro from the CHS 66 45th Reunion

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

08/16/16 09:00 AM #1    

David Gautereaux

Another buddy, lost. I didn't run in Rods circle, but we played ball together and lived the Coronado life together for many years. Thinking of his family and friends, Someone please let us know when service plans are made.

08/16/16 09:12 AM #2    

Susy Rutter (Chamberlin)

I was not part of Rod's group of friends, but I so enjoyed  hearing about his life and accomplishments. Dick, your 2 posts about Rod were so eloquent and I'm sure he would be proud to hear your words. My condolences to his wife and family, and to,his good friends. Susy Rutter Chamberlin

08/16/16 12:11 PM #3    

Jim Bothwell

So sad to hear of another classmate's passing....really shocking actually when one's memory of Rod is of someone who was young, strong and vibrant...I didn't run in Rod's athletic circle at CHS or attend Crown Elementary with him, but still recall him well.   Our class's mortality rate seems to be approaching nearly 20%....much too high. Condolences to his wife, family and friends.

08/17/16 01:43 PM #4    

Judy Lear

Rod moved to Bend early 90s and we became very close, like brother and sister, for all the years since. He was always there for me and I for him....He knew my boys @ helped me thru all the struggles I had raising them alone, and the difficulties they went thru throughout the years.  Came to their weddings & Eric worked with Rod for few years after Andy died in 08.....I hadn't seen him since he moved to AZ but we talked frequently and always ended our conversations with "I love You". How I wish he could have made it to our 50th & said his goodbyes to all of us. He is at peace now & not in any pain....I took a hike up Tumalo mtn with a group of women Mon, hiked as hard as I could to honor him.....thought my lungs would jump out of my chest but they didn't! On the way down through the sunset I took pictures, didn't see the results til after....the amazing photos of the sun bursting thru the trees with red spots around felt like a message from Andy saying "it's ok Mom, he's with us now"....gave me peace & took away my sadness. Rod was alot of things to many people, but I will always cherish my wonderful memories of our times together over the past 25 years......Thank you Rod for being a great friend!!! I'll never forget you!!

09/23/16 11:18 AM #5    

Richard Corlett

On Saturday Oct. 8 Tony & Janet Falletta will be taking a full boat-load of Sarah's family &. a few of Rod's surviving friends to a place off of Point Loma to disperse Rod's ashes. He will join Dave Ryan, Bob Lahodny, Mike McAree and others at his final resting place. The Pacific is the perfect place for such an accomplished surfer. Janet told me that the "boat party" would love to have all of Rod's friends join them at the Yacht Club for drinks and story-telling. Janet does not yet know the time of their return to port, but keep the date open and I will pass any further information along as I get it. Hope all is well with my '66 friends. ....Fondly, Dick

09/24/16 02:28 PM #6    

David Farmer

To lose another soul to cancer is so hard to take, but as we are older now we'll know more who do not win their battle and those that will. Stay strong classmates and don't let cancer win. 

09/24/16 02:55 PM #7    

Don Larson

Thanks Dick for the information on what Rod's family and friends will do to honor him.    I will take a moment on the 8th to think about Rod and the good times we had in high school.   Sorry you could not make it to the reunion.   

09/26/16 07:54 PM #8    

Teddi DiAngelo (Reilly)

September 2016

Daniel Berry - a long time Santa Barbara friend of Rod's sent these thoughts and appreciates the opportunity  to share in remembrance of Rod:

I am not a CHS alumnus but felt the need to write something about Rod – and could find no other place to do so. I was very close to Rod during his Santa Barbara years, roughly from the early seventies until late eighties. We first met through volleyball. (His nickname here was Bam-Bam because he hit the ball so hard.) He later hired me to manage his small woodshop here, which I did for 15 years. Obviously, we spent a lot of time together: in the shop, on the road, and on the volleyball court-- sometimes on the same side of the net and other times on opposite sides.
So, 2 things I'd like to say about Rod:
1) He would always find something good in the most dire of situations. Even when things in his life seemed to be falling apart, he would find a glimmer of hope, something to hang on to. He was one of the most positive people I’ve ever met. I loved that about him.
2) I was stoked to discover that Rod found a wonderful second life in Arizona. His wife Sarah seems like a great companion/friend/life partner/whatever, and I know he was happy there (when wasn’t he?). It’s difficult to picture the Rod I knew as a school bus driver, but that’s just another example of this positive and flexible personality. I bet he was the best-darned school bus driver ever!
So Rod – From your many Santa Barbara friends: We’ll miss Bam-Bam – Travel safely.


10/18/19 03:09 PM #9    

B Adams

I didn’t know Rod in high school. I’d made an attempt to get reacquainted when I returned to Coronado in August before my senior year. But 6 years away was just too much. Coronado kids lived on the beach, and surfing was natural. I’d been in New England, and the beach was somewhere you went to for 12 weeks each year. Surfing wasn’t there, especially along the Long Island Sound, where the most significant waves were from the wake of a boat. 
But I did know him in grade school and have a few remembrances. He wasn’t Rod yet, he was Roddy, and lived across the street from me on E Ave. We were pals. Most fathers in Coronado were Navy. My father was a submarine skipper, and the guy next door was a flyer. But Major Munro was a Marine Officer, something more exotic at least in my mind, and it influenced the direction I would go. He was also very athletic and a diver.
On top of that, he had a most unusual car. It was a Kaiser, an aluminum car. I don’t know how long those were made, but that was the only one I’ve seen in my lifetime. Mrs. Munro had been a beauty queen. I’d asked my mother why her eyes looked so big, and I was quickly told to mind my own business and that she wore makeup. To me, she was just another mom, but a prettier version.
That was a time of black high top PF flyers, and running races down the block. We made a high jump up at Star Park and would compete to see who could go highest. We perfected flipping over on our back as we cleared the pole. 
There was a community center in those days. It was somewhere near the old gym. On Saturday afternoons they had dancing. It’s a funny thought as we were pretty young, but my older sister Kathy would insist we go and do the bob. At school, kickball was the rage, and we had tan desert boots with a metal plate built into the toe, which was perfect for a good kick. Rod was really good at baseball, I was much less so, but I did best him on that high jump.
Mrs. Munro took us to see horror movies up at the village theatre. My mother never would. We’d be screaming and also debating whether milk duds or junior mints were better; I’m not sure if a decision was ever reached.  You rode your bike everywhere then, even onto the ferry and across to San Diego. Country Club estates were being built, and there was lead everywhere. We’d collect as much as possible, melt it down and then trade it in at the Army-Navy Surplus Store in San Diego and use the money to buy helmets, canteens, and packs for our wars in the sand dunes on the beach.
The palm trees on E Avenue were short back then, not tall like today. We’d pull off palm fronds and strip off all the green and make swords for fighting.
Rod’s dad liked to go diving down in Mexico, and it was a big deal to be asked along. We’d go across the border and eventually stop at some beach. The fathers would put on their gear, and off they went into the water. We’d swim along the shore and generally goof off until it was dinnertime. Lobsters and abalone had been caught on the dives. I’ve eaten a lot of lobster, but sitting out at night on a beach, around a campfire, and dipping the meat in hot butter when you were sunburned and exhausted made it taste so much better.
One morning a considerable commotion was happening across at Munro’s house. Major Munro was off somewhere, and Roddy had a garden hose and was trying to open the garage door. Smoke was coming out of the crack between the doors. Luckily he couldn’t get them open because when the firemen got there, the fire exploded out of the front. The Munro’s only lost the garage, and luckily not the whole house. It did burn a huge freezer in the garage full of frozen steaks. An odd thought I know, but it seemed very upsetting to Mrs. Munro.
It’s sad to think of Rod dying so young. He was always such a strong athletic guy, even as a kid. Judy Lear said he became religious, I hope that comforted him and his family as his time got near. Rest In Peace, Rod.

go to top 
  Post Comment